Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Three



Three days before the move.
Three boxes packed.

Still a whole lot more to go.

8 comments:

  1. Best luck with your move. My last move was about 5 years ago, and I'm dreading when we need to move again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought moving on my own would be so tiring! Thank you Al! I'll be back soon :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself repeating (a lot!) when I’m packing: “Keep moving. Keep moving. Don’t stop. Keep moving.” (Basically I am a total sloth).

    I’m assuming you can dump some stuff off at your family’s place in Tokorozawa if there are remnants. Three days? The last time I moved I started about a month before I had to leave (six weeks?) and still barely made it. (There was about a half block of trash that I left at the trash site out front. Some good stuff too. [I was there 12 years.] I hope some people scrounged some of it.) The first time I moved in Japan there was a desk; a chair; a futon and kakebuton set; a couple “color boxes” and some books. That’s all. And I had to give the truck driver proper directions to my new place: “Uh, Hitomi Kaido actually continues off to the left over there (in Japanese).”

    “Eh? Sou desu ne. Yoku shiteru, ne.”

    In ancient times I did a brief voice over for a company called something like “1, 2, 3 Art Moving.” Thirty minutes of work for 一万円。Whoo hoo!

    Coming back to the States I was glad that the Japanese dolls (or similar) in glass cases that my kind landlord gave me as going away presents made it here unbroken (also kimekomi otedama dolls).

    Must say that I am looking forward to catching views of your new digs and/or surroundings! Is the new place giraffe compatible? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Searching for Japanese doll images I came across this. Pretty trippy. I wonder what that is all about.

    That look on her face: “I just can’t seem to...; should I or shouldn’t I? I just can’t seem to make up my mind. Or is that minds?”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tall Gary, thank you for the comment! I wish my parents lived close by but they are far in Kansai...so I'm going to have to get rid of a LOT of stuff ;-D

    Also what complicates a move is that you have to throw out certain types of trash on certain days. So if I miss one of those days then I have to either take it with me or wait another two weeks. Once this is over I don't think I'll be moving for a while!

    But your photo of the double headed doll totally freaked me out and helped me stay wide awake in the middle of the night to pack ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K, love the perspective in this; best wishes, Charles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Charles! It was our one snowy day this winter :-D

    ReplyDelete